Thursday 14 November 2013

Sixth form!

As some of you guys will know, York is one of my favourite places and on Friday we are going on a trip there to visit the university to hear a lecture from Peter Vardy (a famous philosopher) I am so so excited! I picked up one of his books today to do some wider reading and it is so interesting. Infact, writing this post is the first time I have out it down all day. If I have learnt anything over the past few weeks it is to do wider reading at a level. My teacher calls it the WOW factor and it is what makes your essays stand out from the rest. It also gives you a better understanding about the topic and has improved my answers massively! My top tips for coping its sixth form is to do little bits every night. You might not want to but it will be worth it in the end. If you just read through your notes you have made that day you have more chance of remembering it! If you can get your college to set up clubs or even create your own forum to discuss the subject that you are taking. It is so important that you put in the effort because you don't want to be wasting your own time and you might as well get the most from your experience! If you are looking at applying to uni then doing things that will make you stand out on your UCAS application are so important. Think of things that are relevant to the course you want to do (if you don't know check out the UCAS website and unistats for more advice) and then do them in your free time. For example I want to go into drama and English and I have written a play and worked within drama departments at secondary schools, I have also done work with a local MP and talking part in public speaking and competitions. It is so important to stand out and make them see all the reasons why you would be a perfect candidate for their course. I was given a inspirational talk by a boy in the year above and it really really motivated me and, although at the time I didn't want to hear it, I am so glad he has given me the advice and I thought I would share it with you guys :) 

Also, I have had a rehearsal for a WW1 play that we are doing at school called 'Goodnight, my love...' I have written it myself and we are putting it on in three weeks which is super exciting/scary. All the money that we are raising is going towards poppy appeal so it goes to a great cause as well. I actually did an assembly today (to around 700 people,eek) on the First World War because I was lucky enough to be able to go on the battle fields trip in France. It was a really emotional assembly but I really enjoyed doing it and was so happy with everyone's feedback! 

Exciting news of the day has been that my step mothers son is going to be a Daddy!! So happy for them both :) 

I have also been asked to do a 'my favourites post' so I will be posting that within the next few days. If any of you have any questions you want an answer to either email us or send us a tweet @scoshgirls before tomorrow and we will answer it! 

Hope you guys have all had a lovely day and we are now over half way through the week which is exciting! This weekend, Abbie and I are going to see if we can make the Scosh girls a logo! 



Lots of love, Jamie-Lee x
ps. If any of you are interested, this is the book I was talking about. If this is a subject you are doing I would certainly give it a read :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment